Thursday, December 29, 2011

Real Talk

Reality. What a word. What a concept! I've been thinking about all of this for the past couple days without success. So I'm hoping that writing it out might help make clear the jumbled mess going through my head. (Don't worry, the "jumbled mess" isn't due to dire circumstances or a plunge into insanity. It's simply how life inside my head usually progresses: without stopping. I'm sure many of you know of what I'm speaking.) Anyway, reality. A concept like this could hardly be tackled in my little blog. Heck, they've been fighting over the very reality of reality since the ancient Greeks! So if you're hoping for answers here, sorry. My answers may be lacking, but my thoughts are quite the contrary, especially when it concerns my walk with God.

When it comes to God and me, I talk about real love, real faith, and real relationship all the time. But how much of it is real? I mean, I totally agree with the whole "perseverance of the saints" stuff. I'm not questioning the reality of my salvation as far as its existence is concerned. But how much of what I say, what I think, and what I do is really real? Like, even down to the very title of my blog. How much of that is real?
I am average: more-or-less a fact.
I am living: fact.
My emotional state is "excited": more often than not a fact.
My biblical status under Christ is "slave": a hard fact.
To that extent, the title of my blog is a 100% true description of myself. But reality, in this case, is more than mere existence. In my Christian life, reality must be verbal, not simply adjectival. In other words, "average, living, excited slave" can't just describe me, it must be me. This might sound like a total over-analysis of reality, but think of it like art. Before Vincent van Gogh sat down in 1887 and painted his eternally famous Self Portrait, he thought about characteristics of himself. Maybe he looked in a mirror and verbally described what he saw, or maybe he asked some friends to help describe himself. I don't know. But either way, he took characteristics of himself and accurately portrayed them on a canvas. Van Gogh's brush strokes describe him in the same way that the words in the heading of this web-page describe me. And we can say that they are accurate because they mimic truth or existence. But what if after painting this portrait, van Gogh shaved his beard? Can we still call his painting accurate enough to be considered a "self-portrait"? Yes, of course it is. It is still a description of van Gogh, except now, the beardless van Gogh fails to actively be his description. So when I fail to actively live for Christ, when I fail to be excited in my Christian life, when I fail to treat Jesus as my Lord and Master, its like I shaved my beard.

God painted the picture of what I am to look like in Scripture and called it "Christ." That's where I got the title of this blog. Jesus, when it came to living an every day life, was the epitome of average growing up. He was definitely living. The Gospels make it obvious to how excited he was to be on mission here on earth. And Scripture also talks about how Jesus was a servant. Because of God's grace on the cross and in my life, when he looks at me he sees that description. He sees the perfect portrayal of Christ. But that doesn't mean that I am the perfect portrayal of Christ.

Hopefully one day, the title of my blog will be a reality when it comes to what I say, think, and do. That's what I need to work toward via the help of the church and the Spirit. But thankfully, I can struggle through these points in my life that seem absent of life, excitement, and surrender, without fear, knowing that God sees me as the perfect portrait of his Son. And in that sense, I can still, and always will, be able to say that He is my Lord and I am His slave.


An excited servant of God,
Cameron Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment